I got this recipe a while back from a coworker and it quickly became a family favorite. Here is a healthy twist on a classic favorite. So creamy and filling that it masks the taste of the spinach and makes it a meal even picky eaters will love. Makes 4 servings.
- 1 x 12 ounce box of whole-wheat elbow macaroni or medium shells
- 2 cups of milk
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 cups of shredded, low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces of frozen spinach, thawed
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease 2 quart glass baking dish.
- In food processor, finely chop spinach.
- Heat milk over medium heat until steaming. Whisk in flour and cook until sauce thickens, 2-3 minutes. Stir in cheddar cheese until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in cottage cheese and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Cook noodles for 5 minutes (it will continue cooking in the oven). Drain noodles and add cheese sauce.
- In 2 quart baking dish layer half of the pasta/cheese mix. Spread spinach over entire layer. Top with remaining pasta/cheese mix. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbling, 25-30 minutes.
Let me know your favorite healthy alternative to unhealthy kid favorites!
Find me on: