Here is a tried and true family favorite. It is a quick, easy, healthy recipe everyone can enjoy. Let me know what you think! Makes 6 servings.
- 1x15oz can fat-free refried beans
- 1 pound ground turkey or lean grass-fed beef
- ½ packet of Mrs. Dash taco seasoning (or your own salt free homemade version of taco seasoning)
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, diced (or if short on time use ½ can of diced tomatoes rinsed)
- ½ cup chunky salsa
- 4oz can of diced green chilies (can be omitted if your kids don’t like spicy food)
- ½-1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese mix (can use regular or low fat cheese. low-fat won’t melt as well as full fat but it still tastes good on top)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 ½ quart casserole dish (I use olive oil). Spread whole can of refried beans to coat the bottom of the casserole dish evenly. Once in a while I add in 1 x15oz can of low sodium black beans to the refried beans (rinsed and drained twice) to add some extra fiber and protein. Brown meat and mix in Mrs. Dash taco seasoning (I use half the individual size packet, use more or less based on your family’s taste) and make an even layer over the refried beans. Dice tomatoes, or drain can of diced tomatoes, and mix with salsa. Spread the tomato/salsa mix on top of meat. Rinse off diced green chilies and sprinkle half of the can over the tomato/salsa mix (any unused green chilies can be frozen for later). Sprinkle cheese over the top, just enough so you can’t easily see the food below. Bake for 20 minutes.
Serve as appetizer at a party or as your family’s entrée. We enjoy eating it as our main entrée, using everything pretzel chips to eat it with. *pretzel chips are baked instead of fried, saving on fat. The herbs and spices on the ‘everything’ pretzel chips give it some extra flavor.