So good even my meat loving husband requests this recipe. Quick and easy, just add the ingredients, turn on the slow cooker, and let the magical aroma fill the house! Makes 6-8 servings. Cook time is 4 hours.
- 2-3 cups of vegetables (our family likes broccoli, cauliflower, spinach mix… others include peppers, onion, zucchini, mushrooms, eggplant, etc.)
- 1 ½ cup cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried Italian Herb mix
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 large egg (or 1 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 2 tbsp water & left until seeds soak up water)
- 2 x 24oz jar of pasta sauce
- 1 box lasagna noodles, uncooked
- Grated mozzarella cheese to sprinkle on top (optional)
Grease slow cooker with olive oil. Pour in 1 x 24 oz jar of pasta sauce evenly over bottom of slow cooker. Grab half of the box of lasagna noodles and break them up into little pieces (roughly 2 inch x 2 inch pieces), then sprinkle evenly over pasta sauce. Put all of your veggies in a food processor or blender and process until the mix looks like rice (not liquid, just small enough that the family can’t tell what the veggies are). Spread veggies evenly over lasagna noodles. Next, mix cottage/ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, Italian herbs, garlic powder, and the egg (or flax-seed mix if you have an egg allergy). Spread the cheese mixture evenly over the veggie layer. Take the rest of the lasagna noodles and break them up into little pieces (roughly 2 inch x 2 inch pieces), then sprinkle evenly over cheese layer. Last, pour the 2nd 24oz jar of pasta sauce over the top. Turn on the slow cooker to low and cook for 4 hours. You can always sprinkle the top with grated mozzarella cheese but we find you don’t need it. Serve and enjoy!
Overtime I have gotten bolder and added more and more veggies without my family ever noticing. The flavors in the recipe, combined with the fact that you process the veggies into very small pieces, do a great job of hiding the veggies from picky eaters.